Monday, August 18, 2014

Recharged and Ready to Go!

Welcome to our brand new school year!

I know, I know.  There are still 2 weeks left before school starts, but those back-to-school butterflies of excitement are already starting!

Although I am sending a letter home to all my 7th and 8th grade parents and guardians, I'd like to include some additional information about what ELA will look like this year.  Our department has been working hard over the summer to make some updates to our curriculum, and the results are very exciting!

The first few weeks of school will help me get to know my students.  We'll choose some books together, read together, and write together.  We'll establish the structures and rules of our classroom and the time we spend together daily.  We form a community of readers and writers who support each other.  Then, it's time to dig into to our serious ELA work!

Just as I hate it when my friends give away the ending of a great movie before I've seen it, I don't want to give away all the units planned for this year.  But, I will let you in on the first one.  For 7th graders, we will be studying the genre of Fantasy.  This includes reading fantasy stories and then writing them.  For 8th graders, the genre of choice is Realistic Fiction.  When this unit is over, all students will have the opportunity to be authors of fiction!

One last bit of news to be excited about:  when I visited my classroom yesterday, I walked into the middle of a new installation in my classroom.  A new 80-inch flatscreen!  Apple TV!  Although I still have some training to do, I'm already thinking about ways this piece of technology will enhance the learning we do this year.  Gosh, I love technology.

Finally, I'd like to include links to the letters home to parents/guardians.  Students will need these signed for the first week of school.  Just click the links below to access the documents.

ELA 8 Letter Home

ELA 7 Letter Home 


Looking forward to an amazing year!




No comments:

Post a Comment