Wednesday, September 3, 2014

First Day!

What a day! 

I've decided to hang this motto over my door this year to remind me about what's most important in my job.  I want it to be the first thought that occurs when I plan my lessons, and I think my first day reflects this.


As it usually goes, class today was spent taking surveys and doing getting-to-know-you activities.  I love that I already know some of my students from last year, but today I made sure I built in time to chat with each student one-to-one to ensure I begin communication on day one.

While I was chatting, students completed a technology survey and an "all about me" questionnaire.  I'll take a look at these tonight as I start to make plans for future lessons and class management.

We also worked on meeting in a circle.  Yes, we actually went out in the hall and practiced coming into the classroom, getting a chair and bringing it to the meeting area.  This is where we will start class every day. A few students immediately commented that this practice felt like rug time in kindergarten, but when I asked about the benefits of starting class in this way some great thinking emerged:
  • it allows for good discussion because no one can "hide"
  • it makes it easier to participate
  • you can look at the person speaking
  • you are forced to get to know your class
Speaking and Listening are ELA standards, and the ability to have a purposeful discussion (both the sharing ideas and listening to others') is an essential life skill.  We'll be practicing these skills every day.

For homework tonight I've asked students to have a permission letter signed.  The letter for 8th grade is here, and 7th grade is here.

Tomorrow we start with our initial assessment for narrative.  Students will be asked to write a personal narrative, and I'm not going to give much more direction than that!  Their performance will help me understand where to begin in our first unit of study.

This day has left me with anticipation for the year.  I'm tired, but excited!  Hoping students feel the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment